About

Free Counter
Www.free-counter-plus.com

Friday, November 7, 2008

Responses to the Prop 8

Hi girls, with the impact that this week has caused the terrible news of the passage of Prop 8 in California, many celebrities have already given their opinion:

Our Ellen DeGeneres issued a statement on the morning after the election and said:

“Watching the returns on election night was an amazing experience. Barack Obama is our new president. Change is here. I, like millions of Americans, felt like we had taken a giant step towards equality. We were watching history.
“This morning, when it was clear that Proposition 8 had passed in California, I can’t explain the feeling I had. I was saddened beyond belief. Here we just had a giant step towards equality and then on the very next day, we took a giant step away.
“I believe one day a ‘ban on gay marriage’ will sound totally ridiculous. In the meantime, I will continue to speak out for equality for all of us.”

The singer Melissa Etheridge, showed their indignation at this outcome by writing an article in The Daily Beast, which reads:

Okay. So Prop 8 passed. Alright, I get it. 51% of you think that I am a second class citizen. Alright then. So my wife, uh I mean, roommate? Girlfriend? Special lady friend? You are gonna have to help me here because I am not sure what to call her now.
Anyways, she and I are not allowed the same right under the state constitution as any other citizen. Okay, so I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes because I am not a full citizen.

Okay, cool I don't mean to get too personal here but there is a lot I can do with the extra half a million dollars that I will be keeping instead of handing it over to the state of California. Oh, and I am sure Ellen will be a little excited to keep her bazillion bucks that she pays in taxes too. Wow, come to think of it, there are quite a few of us fortunate gay folks that will be having some extra cash this year. What recession? We're gay!

As we see Melissa has written an article full of rage and sadness, encouraging gays to avoid paying taxes in California, we can see the scope and sense of frustration and deep sadness that has reached this absurd Prop. 8, and not just in California if not throughout the community around the world.

Also Samantha Ronson Dj, Lindsay Lohan girlfriend , has written in her My Space blog about these negative results and comparing with Prop 2 (which strengthens the protection of farm animals).

"I guess people care more about farm animals than they do their fellow man, that's really sad to me.yes, i am glad that the chickens will have more room and better conditions as they wait to die, but i just think it's frightening that people show more compassion for tomorrow's dinner than for the chef.
Yup, miss piggy and chicken little may rest easy, but gay people in florida and california can no longer get married and gay couples in arkansas can't adopt children. g-d forbid a loving family (regardless of sexual orientation) give a needy child a home! there aren't children out there in dire need of love and shelter, no this country is thriving and no child is in need. oh well, i guess one out of four ain't bad!

The rest of the community feels a mixture of shock, sadness and determination. In California, followed by vigils from Los Angeles to San Francisco and Sacramento. The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the National Center for Lesbian Rights filed a petition before the California Supreme Court urging the Court to invalidate the proposal.

0 comentarios: